(NEWS10) — A new study by MagnifyMoney ranks the states by how good (or bad) they are at saving money. New York is ranked the third-worst state.
Why do New Yorkers have trouble saving money? The study points to housing costs and jobs as potential reasons why.
In New York:
- 39.4% of people’s monthly income goes toward housing costs
- It takes 1.63 years of income for a down payment on a house
- Job growth from May 2020 to May 2021 was 11%
Why are people hesitant to get the COVID vaccine?
Compared to Vermont, the number one ranked state for saving money, these numbers don’t seem too bad. In Vermont:
- 38.4% of people’s monthly income goes toward housing costs
- It takes 1.31 years of income for a down payment on a house
- Job growth from May 2020 to May 2021 was 10.1%
The real problem appears with wage growth and the unemployment rate. In Vermont, wage growth is 8.4% and the unemployment rate is 2.6%. In New York, they’re 3.2% and 7.8% respectively. Wage growth is smaller and the unemployment rate is higher.
The problems don’t stop there. The study ranked each state (1 through 51) in several different categories, some of which were already mentioned. Compared to every other state, New York ranks: